Friday, March 09, 2007

"This"

A few days ago Jack was eating breakfast and he turned to me and asked "This?" and I was confused. It was a word he's never used before. I asked him "What's this?" and he pointed toward the counter and said "THIS?" again. I normally wouldn't carry him around the kitchen (in my condition) but something was very important to Jack and I didn't want to lose the communication string we had going! So I picked him up and he directed me towards an oven mitt I had sitting on the counter next to the stove. He exclaimed "This!!!" Still confused and not sure I handed it to him and he trotted on his merry way and played with "This" all morning. I am sure at some point Jack asked me for the mitt and to clarify I probably said "You want this?" and pointed to the mitt. I guess we take for granted the nondescript words we have in our every day lives. So Jack must have assumed when I labeled the mitt "this" that's what it was called.

I forgot about the this/mitt and when it came time for dinner I served spaghettio's to Jack's dismay. He asked for a banana instead and I looked him square in the eye and said "No, we're having THIS for dinner." (Meaning the spaghettio's) He looked confused and seemed to want clarification so he asked"this??" and then it struck me. Now he thought I wanted him to eat the mitt!!!

(Jack, "this", and Daddy later that same evening)


I love that he has ideas and is able to communicate even if it's the tiniest bit! He still loves to play with "this" and I haven't spent too much time correcting him -- it's too cute!

6 comments:

  1. That is wonderful!!! I can't wait until Darsie starts asking those sort of questions. I have to say, too, that Jack (especially with the mitt on) is a seriously cute little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This" is so exciting!

    I can't wait until Crew starts talking:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, these kinds of things. LOVE them, they are such big milestones!

    THIS is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:13 PM

    Hey Buddy! What do you think of all the "girlie" stuff that came home today? Your little sister is going to be one "Hot Number" with all the cutie-pie outfits she got today. The only problem is, Mommy is going to have to change her every hour or so just to make sure she gets to wear them all before she out grows them!! What a lucky little girl she is and even luckier to have you as her very own Big Brother. This does mean of course, you have to share "this" with her and all of your other toys too! But being the wonderful little man that you are, this shouldn't be a problem. Just think, when she's a little older, maybe she'll pull Barbie's other leg off, that way she won't be so lop sided!!! We'll have to wait and see.

    Better go and get Red in the shower before her favorite show comes on. AND---you should probably test out all of the neat toys that the Princess Bean got today(but doesn't know about yet) then you can show her how to play with them when she does make her "Grand Entrance".

    See you later Buddy, Love You,
    Grammie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love "this". That is just so exciting. I love it when we see some light as to what is going on in these sweet little brains. You go Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It reminds me of the time my daughter wanted a cookie and I didn't know which kind she wanted..(sad that we had more than one kind o cookie in the house!) Finally I pointed to some sugar wafers and said, "You mean this type?" She called them Type Cookies for years afterwards. I'm glad you're blogging this cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails