Even though Tyler's fever was gone we ended up back at the Peds office yesterday! After picking up Morgan from preschool I noticed Tyler's spot on his arm was getting bigger and I could see a yellow liquid under the skin. I called the office and realized they were at lunch. I was going to give it until 1:30 and call again. At 1:29 the phone rang and it was our pediatrician! She was calling to check on Tyler. I told her my concerns about the state of his arm and she said we needed to come in and have it drained and sent for testing. She put me on the phone with scheduling and I said 3:30 would work perfectly for us! I called Jason and explained the situation...he was releived we were going to have it tested. Our main source of anxiety was how I would manage all 3 on my own for the first time at the doctor!
Planning a trip in the car with a busy preschooler, a non-amblitory 55 lb 7 year old, and a teeny baby takes some planning...and guts. I have to take them one at a time...Morgan goes first, and along with that first trip to the car I take my purse, the diaper bag, and Jack's mode of transportation. That day it was the convaid stroller, or as we call it here, the blue stroller. Morgan gets buckled in her carseat in the way back of the minivan. Meanwhile, inside the house, Tyler is in his crib and Jack is obsessively yelling, Ma ma, MA MA, MOMMY, GOOOO to CAR!!! Over and over....so next, I take Jack to the car. It feels like the longest walk ever! He is getting so big and long I have a really, really hard time carrying him down the steps and to the driver's side of the car. He gets buckled in and i head back to the house for Tyler. I make my final trip to the car and buckle him in his seat. Out of breath and sweating already i hop in and we make our way.
We get to the peds office and this time Jack has to come out first because i cant lift him while i am carrying Tyler or get to Morgan's seat. So out comes the stroller, i heave our big guy in and hang the diaper bag on the back of the stroller. Then i climb in to the back of the van and get Morgan. Then we go over to Tylers side and i have Morgan hold the door to the van as I get Tyler into the baby carrier I wear on my chest.
So we made it! I am feeling pretty good...proud of myself for doing it! It takes more maneuvering and strategy to get across the parking lot and in to the office. That door is awkward and HEAVY! I managed with only running over Morgan's foot once and get us signed in. I love the staff at our peds office. They are always so helpful and genuinely love to see the kids!! Jack had to stay in his stroller which can be a tantrum point for him but this time he was calm and listened to me very well. Morgan was such a big girl and also listened very well. It was so helpful that they were both such angels during the visit!
Jack and Morgan sat in the exam room and were making conversation with the nurse (our favorite one!!!) and then the dr. came in. She agreed that it was larger and ready to be lanced. I will spare the details but it sure did drain. She collected a sample and cleaned the wound and gave me instructions to use peroxide, saline wash, antibacterial ointments, gauze and bandages twice a day and to let it breathe overnight while he is sleeping. We will have the preliminary results on Saturday. And we watch it...it seems that some fluid is back this morning and i know that was one of her concerns so I will call if it gets worse.
On a great growing note, Tylernis over 15 lbs now. He came home just shy of 11 lbs. Seriously, this kid is a growing machine!! His growth curve isn't a curve, it's a straight line UP! I will have to post it somehow, it's amazing! On bonding growth news, he is really bonding with us. At the dr. the nurse held him while i washed my hands after the proceedure and he could not keep his eyes off of me. When I turned to take him from her, he stretched his arms out and nearly leaped from her arms into mine!! He snuggled in to my chest, and calmed down. Such a good feeling!
Thinking of you, Angela, and hoping that Tyler's arm heals quickly. I am impressed with your work in getting all three kids out the door -- it's tough for me to get anywhere on time with just one little boy!
ReplyDelete